Saturday, December 30, 2006

Just Took a Break

Usually courteous bloggers who value their readership announce their intentions to take a break for awhile. Some even tell them when they can be expected to be back. If anyone is still reading this cyber-rag, which I highly doubt, they'll have to settle for much, much less -but at least they're used to that - namely, the announcement that I just took a break. Not a very useful report, I know, especially since that blogging vacation was time off from what was some rather infrequent posting in the first place; but the break is over and I'm resolved to make 2007 much more fruitful.

One of the posts I'm looking forward to in January will be an interview with author and professor of Old Testament and Biblical hermeneutics at Westminster Theological Seminary, Dr. Peter Enns (whose book I reviewed here and here as well as responding to criticisms of my review here) - so look for that.

The result of posting more frequently will probably be an increase in rabid raving about some topic or another. The new blogger allows for labels, so I've added them to all of my previous posts for easier access - so now I can finally be properly cited in magazines dedicated to interior decorating, budget haircare and preteen gossip. In any case, please accept my apologies, dear hypothetical readers, and expect your compensatory gift baskets to arrive soon. In the meantime, accept the offering of my slightly updated template.

And now, with the sole interest of drawing attention to myself via the magic of technorati, I will insidiously link the posts of various Christian blogs that I'd like to use in order to get myself mentioned or attract their readers:

Mike Bird has some interesting comments on Tom Wright's Simply Christian.

The illustrious internet monk, Michael Spencer diverges from many critics in his review of Apocalypto.

Phil Johnson charitably links someone who only mentions him in order to get linked. How shameful, yet shameless.

Regardless of the odd (as in occasional AND strange) post on postmodernism, Doug Wilson proves once again that his voice is worthy to be heard.

Ben Myers lists several outstanding moments in blogging from 2006.

Scot McKnight comments on a book called The End of Memory by a theologian named Miroslav Volf, who my brother has really enjoyed at Yale.

The Tall Skinny Kiwi discusses the merits of John Piper's book on depression, which after reading his post, I think I'll be picking up immediately.

John Frye breaks the pattern of dismal reactions I've heard about the Christmas release of The Nativity Story.

Alan Bandy, who was into the word Apocalypto before it was cool, had a fantastic Christmas post that I think you'll enjoy as much as I did.

Chris Tilling posted a fantastic series featuring Richard Bauckham - who actually went to the trouble to respond to some commenters. Go back and read parts 1 and 2 as well.

Ben Witherington enjoyed The Pursuit of Happyness, as did my wife and I when we saw it this last weekend.

Check out James K.A. Smith and Nancey Murphy at NPR's "Speaking of Faith" in a feature called Evangelicals Out of the Box.

Joel Garver has some typically insightful things to say about the emerging stuff.

7 comments:

Kasey said...

I am still an avid reader of soylent green.

By the way, how do you do the Topic index at the side bar? I can't figure it out. Not that my personal blog really needs it, but I started a Real Estate blog that it would be helpful with.

Sharad Yadav said...

Hey Kasey! It just came along with the new blogger - pretty svelte, isn't it? You'll have to go to the blogs listed under your profile, click "layout" or "template" or whatever it says, and when you try click the tab to adjust your settings it'll ask if you want to transfer your blog to the new layout. Do it, and you'll get the labels, along with a much more user friendly layout tool.

I can't believe I retained a single reader with my flakiness. Bless your heart.

flathead said...

I am into a theology of friendship. So I will stay faithful, brother! Keeping posting~

Kasey said...

yippeee! labels! thanks.

i am into a theology of bookclubs. i'd be faithful.

Jonathan Moorhead said...

Even though you are completely out to lunch . . . I read. Just kidding! Good links and I look forward to the Enns interview.

nate said...

I'm going to have to go ahead and throw you a phat (gordo) muchas gracias for all the great links AND for your return. Some great stuff in there - I think I'll pick up the Piper book.

Glad to see your eloquence and Boy Scout pictures back in gear.

Sharad Yadav said...

Thanks, Nate!